Challenging old assumptions. Removing barriers to learning.
Reshaping the way we think about public education.
A Partnership for Change
The Mann UCLA Community School brings together the resources of the school, family and community to help young people thrive and make families and communities stronger in the South Los Angeles area.
Horace Mann UCLA Community School will be a cornerstone for high-quality education in Chesterfield Square. Our students will enter the adult world as confident and capable human beings, prepared to succeed in college, pursue meaningful careers, participate in our democracy, and become agents of change for our community.
School Transformation Strategies
- Leadership: Inclusive school leadership and shared-decision making structures.
- Curriculum: Authentic instruction and assessment in the form of project-based learning, performance-based assessment, collaborative learning, and connections to the world beyond school.
- Teaching: Supports for educator learning through professional development and opportunities for reflection, collaboration, and leadership.
- Engagement: Authentic parent and community engagement
- Wrap-around Services: Emphasis on physical and mental health services for students and their families.
- Restorative Practices: Restorative justice and social and emotional learning supports to promote positive discipline models.
UCLA News and Press
The Mann UCLA Community School has been featured in publications.
- UCLA partners with South Los Angeles school to enrich student learning
- UCLA Community School Initiative Launches Summer Institute with Horace Mann Middle School
- Center X and Urban Schooling Division Host Conversation on “Hope and Healing in Urban Education”