Challenging old assumptions. Removing barriers to learning.
Reshaping the way we think about public education.
A Partnership for Change
The Mann UCLA Community School brings together the resources of the school, family and community to help young people thrive and make families and communities stronger in the South Los Angeles area.
Horace Mann UCLA Community School will be a cornerstone for high-quality education in Chesterfield Square. Our students will enter the adult world as confident and capable human beings, prepared to succeed in college, pursue meaningful careers, participate in our democracy, and become agents of change for our community.
School Transformation Strategies
- Leadership: Inclusive school leadership and shared-decision making structures.
- Curriculum: Authentic instruction and assessment in the form of project-based learning, performance-based assessment, collaborative learning, and connections to the world beyond school.
- Teaching: Supports for educator learning through professional development and opportunities for reflection, collaboration, and leadership.
- Engagement: Authentic parent and community engagement
- Wrap-around Services: Emphasis on physical and mental health services for students and their families.
- Restorative Practices: Restorative justice and social and emotional learning supports to promote positive discipline models.
Mann UCLA Community School in the News and Press
The Mann UCLA Community School has been featured in publications.
- UCLA Center for Community Schooling: Justice and Care in Pandemic Learning – September 2020
- Seizing the Moment to Transform Education – August 2020
- A Message to the Mann UCLA Community School Teachers – June 2020
- UCLA Ed & IS: The Difference That Giving Makes – May 2020
- A Community-Based Approach to Studying Climate Change at Mann UCLA Community School – Spring 2020
- Horace Mann UCLA Community School Offers Summer Workshop – May 2019
- Collaboration and Caring: UCLA’s Research-Driven Community Schools | Photos – March 2019
- Mann UCLA Community School Hosts UCLA Tech + Innovation – April 2018
- UCLA partners with tech leaders to launch free summer coding bootcamp – April 2018
- Mann UCLA Community School Benefits From Bruins’ Service – October 2017
- New Year, New School: Mann UCLA Community School Begins – August 2017
- A Model for Change in South Los Angeles – June 2017
- Teach our Children Well – April 2017
- UCLA partners with South Los Angeles school to enrich student learning – April 2016
- UCLA Community School Initiative Launches Summer Institute with Horace Mann Middle School – April 2016
- Center X and Urban Schooling Division Host Conversation on “Hope and Healing in Urban Education” – February 2016